Volunteers needed to support resettled refugees by facilitating integration into the local area.
2 hrs / week Flexible
Specifically, the Volunteer Role Includes:
- Practising conversational English.
- Researching and informing their befriendee of events, activities and facilities in the local area and help them access these.
- Planning and organising weekly visits/sessions.
- Accompanying their befriendee to the shops, library, community groups, parent & toddler group, walks etc.
- Working with, and reporting back to, the resettlement team.
- Volunteers will have the opportunity to be flexible and creative about when they meet and the activities that they undertake and to adapt these to the refugees needs.
Useful Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with low level English speakers.
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to empathise as well as establish boundaries to avoid emotional over-involvement.
- Willingness to empathise and learn about refugee issues.
- Ability to research local activities, and plan activities accordingly.
- Sensitivity to working in a multi-cultural organisation and the ability to work with colleagues from other cultures.
- Good command of spoken and written English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
ExpensesTravel expenses will be covered.
Deadline: Tue 4th May, 2021